The Research Cluster on Surfing and Sustainability of Coastal Areas (NIS) is an autonomous unit integrated in CiTUR (Centre of Tourism Applied Research) and is based in the School of Tourism and Maritime Technology of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (ESTM – IPL), located in Peniche, Portugal, facing the Atlantic Ocean.
The NIS acts as a focal point for innovative, quality research in surf tourism and sustainability. Our research unit attempts to conduct, support and disseminate research, and functions as a think tank and informational resource for those involved in the surfing and coastal areas tourism industry.
At the NIS, we work across disciplines, often supporting multi-disciplinary teams for researching, and outreach. Our collaborative approach, building partnerships with a variety of partners, both nationally and internationally, capitalizes on the intellectual wealth and institutional capacity that IPL can bring to the study and practice of sustainability in tourism.
Our philosophy is that all participants in the surfing and beach tourism experience can, together, protect the environmental health and socio-cultural distinctiveness of tourism destinations while contributing to economic vitality of the communities.
The mission of the Research Cluster on Surfing and Sustainability of Coastal Areas is to ensure the excellence in the development of applied research, in the production and transfer of scientific knowledge in the field of the surf tourism and the sustainability of coastal areas, aiming primarily at the good of the communities.
The NIS is a platform for innovation and quality in the surf tourism and sustainability of coastal areas research, favoring a multidisciplinary perspective. Its main objectives are as follows:
- To constitute a center of knowledge and informative resource for all those interested;
- To contribute to sustainable development and the community’s quality of life;
- To promote scientific exchange partnerships with national and international institutions and researchers;
- To support a collaborative and multidisciplinary approach.
The following values are defined as the guiding principles of the NIS:
- Research for community benefit: commitment to carrying out scientific research that can be exploited to its maximum potential for the benefit of the community;
- Excellence: commitment to the pursuit of excellence. This encompasses every aspect of our work, research, education and all the supporting activities;
- Sustainability: promote sustainability consciousness;
- Intellectual freedom: defend and promote the right of all members, students and the community to express their views freely in the pursuit, advancement and dissemination of knowledge in a spirit of mutual respect;
- Integrity: commitment to integrity, honesty and consistently high standards in all our activities, both internally and externally.